rss
twitter
    "Death is no more than passing from one room into another." – HELEN KELLER

Jesse Lee Home for Children

via Pinterest
This Jesse Lee Home for Children is the second of three locations with the same name. The first move was from Unalaska to Seward, Alaska for several reasons including, the Spanish Flu, overflowing and the building was in desperate need of repairs.

In 1925, the Methodist Episcopal Church opened the second Jesse Lee orphanage/school which averaged 50 to 100 children (possibly more) and 10 employees. The Jesse Lee Home was not a victim of child neglect or abuse. As a matter of fact, one of the students Benny Benson won a contest to design the Alaskan state flag in 1927.

However, it didn't escape a natural disaster. In 1964, it was hit by an unexpected earthquake, one of the worst in Alaska history. The home and school were hit hard. More than a dozen children were killed. Goode Hall, the largest Jesse Lee building, was heavily damaged and later demolished. With most of the buildings damaged beyond repair, the orphanage was moved again to Anchorage.

The remaining Seward building is believed to be haunted. Paranormal reports include giggles, sounds of children playing/skipping rope, footsteps, and spirit of a little boy about 3 years old wearing a dirty shirt is often seen.

The property has sat empty for many years but is currently owned by the City of Seward. However, there are attempts to raise money to restore and convert the remaining building in to a museum.


Sources:

Seward Historic Preservation Commission - Jesse Lee Home For Children

True Hauntings of America - The Haunting of the Old Jesse Lee Home for Children

Beauregard Parish Jail

via Pinterest
Beauregard Parish Jail also known as the Gothic Jail or Hanging Jail in DeRidder, Louisiana. The Beauregard Parish Police Jury purchased land for a new courthouse and jail. Stevens-Nelson designed the buildings while Falls City Construction Company was awarded the contract to build them in September 1913. Both were completed in 1915.

The building did not only have an unique design but it also contains a toilet, shower, lavatory, window in each cell and a spiral staircase. The jail could hold over 50 prisoners at a time. There was a jailers' quarters on the bottom floor with a kitchen and a tunnel leading from the courthouse to the jail to transport prisoners for trial.

The jail received it's nickname after a double execution by hanging in 1928. Joe Genna and Molton Brasseaux murdered a taxi cab driver named J. J. Brevelle while he was taking them to the John Miller place on August 28, 1926. They wanted money and had planned to hi-jack Brevelle. Genna and Brasseaux hit him 15 times, stabbed him with a screwdriver and cut his throat before dumping his body off a bridge. Then took the money and taxi and attempted to escape, but was arrested a few days later. Genna and Brasseaux were found guilty and hanged on March 9th. It was the first time DeRidder had seen an execution. The jail was closed to inmates in 1984. It's currently not in use, but funding is being sought to save it and the building is being considered as a location for an upcoming Disney film.

It is believed that spirits of the two inmates hanged in the jail haunt the building. Former police and inmates have witnessed figures throughout the building. Witnesses have heard footsteps, and running water. There are reports of smelling pipe smoke.


Sources:

Wikipedia 

What You Need to Know - DeRidder Jail (a more indepth account of J. J. Brevelle's murder and trial/execution of Joe Genna and Molton Brasseaux)
 
Blogger Templates