"Death is no more than passing from one room into another." – HELEN KELLER

Legend of Maggie Duffton

If you’re a resident of Kemnay in Scotland, you may have heard of the legend of Maggie Duffton. She once owned the Burnett Arms Hotel, a quaint hotel dating back to the 1800s. Maggie died in 1931. Her wishes was to have three coffins made. One was to be buried in a family grave in the Kemnay Cemetery. The other two, one containing her body and the other her money, was to be walled up in a vault in the hotel cellar.

Seventy-eight years later, Malcolm Edwards, current hotel boss, is determined to prove the legend’s validity once and for all. Along with local stonemason Karl Bisset, the plan is to open up a solid cellar wall. A probe camera was pushed through a tiny wall to reveal a framed photograph and box. The demolition date was set for July 11th. Villagers were even invited to watch the unveiling on a large screen in the bar above. I could not find any word of what happened. Maybe there was nothing to tell.

Even though Edwards doesn’t believe in ghosts, he says there is an unknown presence in the hotel. Many staff members have described seeing a ghostly woman wearing a pink wedding dress walking through the lounge. One night, a staff member cleaning the bar saw someone coming through a locked door calling for someone named Norman. It is not known who Norman is. Another former owner’s father supposedly had “many conversations” with this ghost believed to be Maggie. Locals are afraid the excavation could stir up other ghosts in the hotel’s past.

The Elms Hotel

Do you believe in curses? At one time, it may have crossed the minds of those living in Excelsior Springs, Missouri. The Elms Hotel and Spa burned down twice. Thankfully, no one was hurt in either fire. But lets start at the beginning.

The Elms didn't become a twinkle in someone's eye until after a local farmer used the healing mineral waters to cure his daughter's incurable tuberculosis in 1880. Word of her miraculous recovery spread about the country and people began to descend on the location in hopes of curing their own ailments. A pastor named John Van Buren Flack and a landowner named Anthony Wyman saw it's business potential, forming Excelsior Springs.

Excelsior Springs Company was created to bring the town pavilions, parks and The Elms Hotel. The hotel opened in 1888 and guests enjoyed the mineral water baths, gardens and luxurious parties and balls. Ten years after it open its doors, the first fire burned the wooden structure to the ground on May 9, 1898. Another ten years went by before the second Elms Hotel was completed. It reopened its doors on July 31, 1909. However, guests were only allowed to enjoy it for a little over a year before burned down again. Again there were no fatalities.

Third time was a charm for The Elms. The structure seen today was completed and opened on September 7, 1912. It continued to advertise and sell it's healing waters, experiencing success in the 1920s. Was even nearly converted into a sanitarium. All good things come to an end at some point. The hotel may have aided in the good health of its guests but couldn't survive the Great Depression. It filed for bankruptcy in 1931. New owners were able to revive it, attracting a variety of famous guests including Harry S Truman, Jack Dempsey and well known criminals such as Bugsy Moran and Al Capone.

The Elms saw many changes in ownership over the decades. Even experienced a second bankruptcy and a couple of renovations but managed to keep it's doors open to guests. So why is The Elms be labeled haunted?

Many believe one of the spirits tied to the hotel was from it's speakeasy days during Prohibition. This particular ghost hangs out in the basement, enjoying the lap pool. This area of the hotel use to host all-night gambling events and a popular hiding place for liquor brought by gangsters. Another spirit is that of a woman, searching for her child. They say she has been known to pull a person's hair and throw objects.

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Only in Your State

Remembering 9/11

9 11 photo 911neverforget.jpg

The White Lady of Frio River

There is a lot of fear that surrounds ghosts, particularly those who had a violent life. It's always good to come across one who is good and gentle in nature. The life of Maria Juarez may have ended tragically but she spends her afterlife as a protector of children in Uvalde County, Texas.

All Maria wanted was to marry and start a family of her own. She was very close to her older sister. Even cared for her children. However, her constant presence in her sister's life came with a price. Her sister's husband Gregorio fell in love with Maria. She being the good honest person that she was refused him. Unfortunately, he did not want to take no for an answer.

The day came that Maria almost received her wish. She met a man name Anselmo. They fell in love and were about to marry. Upon learning of this news, Gregorio became enraged. If he couldn't have her, he wasn't going to let anyone else either. Maria went to meet Anselmo but came face-to-face with Gregorio instead. He pulled out a pistol and shot her in the heart.

He fled but was later captured. He confessed to the murder and spent many years in prison. Maria was buried in an unmarked grave wearing her wedding dress.

Many who visit the Frio River have seen a white mist in the shape of a woman. It is believed to be that of Maria. She's also known to be a guardian of sorts for children at night. Even covers them with blankets when it's cold.


Wide Open Country

Texas Escapes

New London Ledge Lighthouse

New London Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909 on top of a concrete pier. This Groton, Connecticut lighthouse has been tended to by keepers until 1939 when the U.S. Coast Guard took over. Then, it was converted to automated in 1987. Of course, that is not why it is being mentioned here. It's alleged haunted status began with one lighthouse keeper.

This man's name was supposedly John Randolph. Living in a lighthouse in the 1920s or '30s can be a lonely existence. Randolph's wife found ways to maintain her sanity by flirting with local fishermen and sailors until that wasn't even enough. One day, when he went ashore for supplies, his wife ran off with the Block Island Ferry boat captain and never returned. When Randolph discovered his wife had left him, he slit his throat and fell from the 65 ft tower. His body was never found. A heartbreaking story, right? Unfortunately, there isn't any documentation John Randolph even existed much less killed himself.

However, a spirit named "Ernie" seems to be active at New London Ledge Lighthouse. Reports include doors opening and closing on their own, constant smell of fish, cold spots and items in locked drawers would rearrange themselves, Tools disappear and and reappear. Sheets ripped off their beds. Strange noises and whispers. Sometimes he turns on the foghorn on clear days. Boats and ships set adrift when someone speaks ill of him. "Ernie" would only appear to women and children. This active spirit is also kind enough to wash floors and windows. Who doesn't like a ghost who does windows, right?

In 2014, ownership of the New London Ledge Lighthouse was transferred from the U.S. Coast Guard to the New London Maritime Society. It's in the process of being restored and yes, they do offer tours.


Ledge Light Foundation

Damned Connecticut 

Haunted Lighthouses, Legends and Lore

Los Feliz Mansion

Designed by architect Harry E Weiner, this 1925 Los Angeles mansion was once owned by German silent film director/producer Frederic Zelnik. While Los Feliz Mansion may look like a thing of beauty, it bared witness to a tragedy.

On December 6, 1959, a Dr. Harold Perelson struck his wife Lillian with a ball-peen hammer, leaving her to drown in her own blood. Then proceeded to his teenage daughter Judye's room. He struck her in the head as well but in such a way she wasn't seriously injured. She managed to flee and call for help. Her two siblings were left unharmed. By the time police and an ambulance arrived, Dr Perelson was dead, committing suicide after swallowing pills. Supposedly, he had attempted suicide several times before but was stopped by his wife. The reason behind the murder-suicide is unknown. However, some believe it may have been because of financial troubles.

Since then, the house has changed owners a few times, but no one has really lived in it. Well...until now. Famed celebrity attorney Gloria Allred's daughter Lisa Bloom and husband purchased the house. Perhaps they will learn first hand if Los Feliz Mansion is haunted or not.

Many claim Dr. Perelson's spirit is still roaming the house. Or perhaps, because of the tragedy, many want to believe it's haunted.


Daily Mail Online - Photos of inside the house

Los Angeles Curbed

Los Angeles Times

Gaither Plantation

Gaither Plantation was once a cotton plantation ran by Cecilia and William Hubert Gaither in the 1850s. The property extended several thousand acres but now consists of only a few hundred, including the original home, several outbuildings and a relocated historic church built in 1822.

Cecilia and W. H. had several children. W.H. died in 1890 after the house was deeded to Cecilia. Their daughter Clara died at the age of 9. Her and her father are both buried in a family cemetery on the grounds. Cecilia was forced to sell the plantation in 1921 when she was unable to pay the $28 in taxes she owed. During the Civil War, it’s rumored that Cecilia hid Confederate soldiers at the plantation up a secret stairway so the Yankees wouldn't burn her house. Thankfully, they didn't discover the soldiers, but did take some livestock she had hidden away.

Several spirits are said to roam the property. A female is often seen. Sensitives state her name to be “Ceely”. One paranormal group discovered Cecilia was often called Ceely by her grandchildren. The smell of perfume is found in her room as well. Other apparitions are believed to be connected with Confederate soldiers, a murder committed at the back of the house, and a pastor murdered his wife and himself in the church. A male is also seen in the upstairs area of the house. Footsteps and voices are often heard in empty rooms.

Hanoverville Roadhouse

The main colonial-style structure was built around 1825. The rich soil and abundance of rain in this area of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania made it the perfect spot for a farmhouse. However, perhaps the location made it perfect for a lot of things. In 1837, the building was turned in to a hotel, general store, and post office complete with a stagecoach stop. The business remained the same through the Civil War.

Despite changing hands, the bar always remained open. When the 1930s rolled in, it transformed in to a restaurant, bar and hunting lodge. It gained a reputation as a family establishment during the '40s and '50s. A decade or so later, the building went through some construction. First floor walls were removed. A stage and two bars were built. Canned Heat from Woodstock fame and Tiny Tim both performed at the Roadhouse.

The Hanoverville Roadhouse may be known as a great place to take the family, but is it haunted? Many believe so. Most of the activity centers around a little boy. He is described as being around 8 or 10 years old, dark hair and dark clothing who is often seen weeping. Unfortunately, his identity remains unknown. Witnesses have also heard odd noises, voices and footsteps as well as a poltergeist who loves to pull a prank or two.


Hanoverville Roadhouse
Blogger Templates