The Paranormal Has a Musical Following

I have reviewed books, TV shows, and the occasional movie, but not so much music. There seems to be a bit of a shortage on paranormal related music. Not horror. Paranormal. I was asked to give an Indie paranormal modern folk singer/songwriter a chance. Honestly, I haven't heard a lot of folk music that has grabbed my attention in the past and I know there has been some great singers who have bulldozed the genre in to the population's hearts. I have an eclectic taste in music and was willing to give Jonah Knight a try.

Jonah Knight is someone who has experimented music with several bands including taking a break for writing plays. After six years as a playwright, he picked up his guitar and approached music with a clean slate. Knight has recorded four albums, including a soundtrack to the novel Nobody Gets the Girl by James Maxey, and is currently working on his fifth, another novel (steampunk theme) soundtrack. He sings and plays about ghosts, monsters, superheroes and pirates. I had the opportunity to listen to four of his songs.

I'm going to start with the "Pirates Song". Why? Because if you're a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, you'll already have pirates on the brain in anticipation of the fourth installment's theatrical debut. "Pirates Song" is have a very lighthearted, comical feel to it about a pirate's life. It's definitely something people would enjoy. Good but I'm not sure it really stands out from all the other songs about pirates.

"Empty House", however, is on the other side of the musical spectrum. I'm sure you remember the days of sitting around camp fires or under blankets with flashlights telling ghost stories. This song is basically an ode to a haunted house. It goes for a darker tone. I feel it has the directions but is still circling the block, searching for the right destination. The lyrics seem solid but the music kind of lacks.

There's an ode to a haunted house. How about an ode to a haunted town. "Sleepy Little Creepy Little Town" is about a town that isn't quite normal. I've lived in several small towns but none that are really abnormal. I've wondered what it would be like to live in a place where seeing apparitions and hearing voices/footsteps everywhere you go is the norm. This song kind of gives you an insight in to that upbringing in a disturbing, lighthearted way.

I saved this one for last because I feel I ran in to a dilemma. I listened to "Someday We'll All be Ghosts" several times and I have this overwhelming feeling like I've heard it before. Or rather a song that sounds very much like it. But it's one of those cases where the answer is on the tip of your tongue and you can't quite figure out what it is. So, I included the track with this post. Listen to it. Tell me what you think.

Overall, I think Jonah Knight has promise. There should be more music that focuses on the paranormal and not so horror saturated. Perhaps, he'll help fill the void. You can learn more about Jonah and his music at http://www.jonahofthesea.com.


Comments

Courtney Mroch said…
Oh how cool! What a neat post and review, Andrea. Refreshing!
jonahknight said…
Hi Andrea. Thanks so much for writing about my music. You got a mix of songs from two of my CDs and I think you would like Ghosts Don't Disappear as those songs are more ghost-y than horror-y.
So as a thanks, you and your readers can download that album for free.
http://bit.ly/lhLsIw

Popular posts from this blog

Lorelei Inn

Black Aggie

Reminder Sunday